Christina's Reviews > The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

May 23, 10

bookshelves: kindle, 2010, fantasy, fiction
Read from May 17 to 19, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This is the first Neil Gaiman book I've read - until now I've only read the Death graphic novels and some of the Sandman graphic novels. I don't know if this is the right place to start with reading Gaiman novels but this is my start and I'm glad it was.
The Graveyard Book is a children's novel about a young boy who grows up in a cemetery. The novel starts with a man walking up some stairs after having killed a young girl and her parents. The man is on his way to kill the only remaining member of the family, a toddler. But the toddler is not in his crib - he woke up, got bored, used his teddy bear to crawl out of the crib and when he got down the stairs (dropping his nappy on the way), he went out of the house and went up to the graveyard.
I loved the description of this small boy and his determined way of eliminating his boredom by just leaving his crib and going out on adventures and from this early moment, I was in love with this book.
When the boy enters the graveyard, he is met by various dead people who helps him escape the murderer. After some debate, the boy is granted the Freedom of the Graveyard, he is 'adopted' by Mr and Mrs Owens, named Nobody and a whole new life begins.
The book follows Nobody - or Bod, as he is called - through his growing into a young man, visiting him every couple of years in a series of short stories detailing various adventures, friendships and episodes involving witches, ghouls, hounds of God night-gaunts, school - and finally in a stand-off against the man, who wanted to kill him when he was still a toddler.
This is an amazing book, a wonderful children's book. And even a book that you can get a lot of enjoyment out of as an adult reading it. It was a 5 stars read most of the way - only thing dragging it down and taking the last star was the ending, which I thought was a bit too easy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Graveyard Book.

05/17/2010 "9%. So far really liking this one - love the descriptions of the toddler!"
05/18/2010 "18%. I still really like this story - and it seems like it's a book promoting reading as well!"
05/18/2010 "44%. Witches, ghouls, hounds of God, night-gaunts ... What more can you want?"
05/19/2010 "71%. Bod is getting older and more in charge of the powers he has learned from the undead - loving this book!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Henrik Looking forward to review:-)