jo mo's Reviews > How We Decide

How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer

May 07, 13

bookshelves: non-fiction, kindle-bility, dropped

dropped: 07 may 2013

Essentially this book says that there are good and bad times to use your rational brain to make decisions and that there are times when the best decisions you can make are those you will make by relying on your emotions.

If the problem has few variables then reason can cope with that and won’t be overloaded. If the problem is sufficiently novel – that is, you are in a situation in which you have never been before, you need to avoid relying on your emotions and you need to try to think.

This book is not trying to tell you that there are times when you should not think at all – it is telling you that you should always think about the decisions you are making and how you are making those decisions, but to also understand that we are human and we ALL tend to rationalise our behaviour.

The more open you are to the possibility you may be wrong the more likely you are to be right. The more prepared you are to listen to others, the less likely you are to stuff up. The more consciously people set up ways in which their views will be challenged the more likely they are not to be fooled by their own bullshit.

- Trevor
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How We Decide.

05/07/2013 marked as: dropped