Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Nightshade

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Nov 04, 10

bookshelves: ya, oct10, series, paranormal, fantasy, 2010-debut, read-in-2010, breathless-reads, favorites, own
Read from October 26 to 30, 2010

Werewolves are quite popular in YA right now, but Andrea Cremer has done something so different from all other werewolf tales. Nightshade presents the complex world that Calla Tor lives in. She’s the alpha wolf of the Nightshade pack and come Samhain, she’ll be joining with her mate-to-be, Renier Laroche, the alpha of the Bane pack.

Calla’s world if one of tradition and following the rules. The dynamics of pack life are shown in carefully constructed detail and the underlying mythology behind the wolves is so intricate. Cremer’s writing showcases the best and worst in Calla’s life, while maintaining an addictively interesting story. Cremer's writing makes the reader feel like they are right there, with Calla during everything. The story is engaging and impossible to put down.

The love story that is weaved into the ever-demanding and increasingly interesting plot, is seductive and entrancing. Shay Doran, the new guy in town, is undeniably attractive and Calla’s chemistry with him is scorching hot. But it was Ren that stole my heart. Nearly every scene between him and Calla is beyond sexy and his alpha wolf nature is enigmatic.

Shay’s arrival in town forces Calla to question everything she has ever known. The wolves are the Guardians, taking orders from their Keepers, but when Shay makes Calla question that, her role begins to change and that’s where Cremer’s storytelling really shines. As Calla delves deeper and deeper into her own history, the mystery of her origins begins to unravel and the unexpected twists and turns abound. Her need to protect those she cares about is unwavering, but her desire for some other kind of life, a free life, pushes her to break the rules.

Nightshade is a seductively thrilling tale that will grab you with its action, but hold you with the mythology and evolving history behind the world of the Guardians and Keepers and the lies that are told. Cremer’s writing is incredibly addicting and phenomenal. This is easily one of my favorite reads of the year and one not to be missed.

Opening line: I’d always welcomed war, but in battle my passion rose unbidden. ~ pg. 3

Favorite lines: “We are who we are. I have no desire to be something else. But right now I’m afraid of what it means for those who I care about.” ~ pg. 208
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshade.