Heidi's Reviews > Scarlet Women

Scarlet Women by J.D. Christilian

Jan 20, 2010

bookshelves: own-paperback, written-review, gilded-research, favorites, gilded-fiction
Read from January 18 to 20, 2010

I enjoyed reading this so much that at first gave this four stars, but then demoted it to three. The reason for this was that the ending was a bit disappointing, not enough complexity or surprise to it, and one pretty significant thread was left, in my opinion, dangling. The author, now deceased (J. D. Christilian was his pseudonym) wrote modern day policiers and novelizations of movies under different pseudonyms and perhaps he was on a deadline for something else or lost interest. However, I found this book, which I picked up mostly for research purposes on Victorian New York, to be surprisingly pleasurable and well paced, not to mention brimming with information about the era. (Although he did introduce fire escapes, not actually in existence until a few years later, which did give me pause.) The main character, Harp (sort of an early P.I.) was very appealing and had a nice dry sense of humor; there was also a love story that was both tender and clever. If there had been more in the series, I would read them, but unfortunately it was a stand alone. And you did get a lot of information on New York at that time, which I enjoyed. For anyone who's looking for an enjoyable fast-paced read with good historical detail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet Women.