Liviu's Reviews > The Kingdom of Ohio

The Kingdom of Ohio by Matthew Flaming

Dec 31, 2009

bookshelves: 2010_release_read, read_2010, genre-sf
Read in January, 2010

This is a very hard novel to evaluate; in style it's an A+ being written absolutely superbly, a page turner with a great atmosphere in both threads of the novel, as well as in the snippets of the further past.

The execution is also well done though the main twist is obvious immediately, and the ending is great - some called it a cliffhanger, but I disagree - the story could end here and I would be happy, though of course a sequel would be great.

The main problem is the storyline itself, which is absolutely bare-bones, more novella like with snippets/notes than a coherent novel; coincidences galore only the magic of the author' style made me suspend my disbelief, but like with all magic it wears thin fast, so this is a novel you cannot reflect upon and do not see its essentially absurdity or maybe solipsism as the story goes; still as i appreciate a magic act despite knowing it's hand tricks, mirrors and misdirection, rather than substance, the same I appreciated this one a lot and the author became one to watch from now on...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom of Ohio.