Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books)'s Reviews > Gossip Girl

Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar

Jan 11, 10

bookshelves: chick-lit, ya, read-in-2010, series
Read in January, 2010

Serena van der Woodsen is everything a girl should want to be. Serena’s tall, blonde, and gorgeous; with a sultry smile and an infectious personality. Everyone seems to adore her. So how come Serena comes back home to NYC and all her friends refuse to talk to her? She’s been away at boarding school for the past year or so and everyone’s convinced she was slutting it up with as many boys as she could handle. So what happens when the IT girl comes back? Gossip Girl is all over the case and spreading as many rumors as possible.

The Gossip Girl book is so different from the show and I was a bit unprepared for it. The high school students are even more wild and catty in the books than they are in the show and I kind of liked it. The book is bitchy, funny, and in your face. Cecily von Ziegeser doesn’t hold back when talking about the lavish lifestyles these teens lead and though I found most of it unrealistic, I think I found a new guilty pleasure.

The characters are completely shallow and self-absorbed (and different from their counterparts in the show), but it didn’t seem to bother me. Most of the stuff I’ve read recently has been very heavy, but Gossip Girl is a light, funny read that I enjoyed.

Opening line: Ever wondered what the lives of the chosen ones are really like?

Favorite line: “When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gossip Girl.

12/31/2009 page 105