Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)'s Reviews > Magic Under Glass

Dec 31, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: i-own
Read from December 31, 2010 to January 03, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Alright, so my feelings and emotions for this book are very mixed. I didn’t dislike it, but I didn’t exactly love it either. There was nothing that outright caught my attention and I wasn’t drawn into the story as I have been with a lot of other books.
I feel the actual storyline idea was very good, however I expected more from this book as I’d been excited to read it. It lacked that extra something to make it brilliant and I was disappointed the book didn’t have it. The writing was beautiful however and the author explained everything in beautiful detail. To me this book lacked emotion and real depth from the characters to the sequence of events that happened.
To me both Nim and Erris were plain at best and boring at worst. They had no defining qualities and other than the fact that he was a clockwork man and she the only person he could communicate with, I saw no reason for them to be “in love”. In my opinion they didn’t know each other well enough to care deeply for one another. Perhaps that’s due to the era the books was set in, I don’t know, but to me it was just annoying.
For the majority of the book I felt bored and wasn’t at all interested. Even when they were in the middle of their “daring rescue” I was bored. I mean, isn’t that the moment I’m supposed to pick up and be unable to stop reading? It didn’t find it.
Honestly, there’s nothing actually wrong with this book, but for some reason I just wasn’t a massive fan.

I don’t know if I wanna read the sequel or not we’ll see then I guess.....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Under Glass.

12/31/2010 page 141
63.0% "Not bad. The world and characters remind me a tad of Clockwork Angel."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie wow, if it reminds you of CA then I think I will like that one too ^^

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) It's actually not that great.
I'm a tad disappointed, cos i was expecting big things from this book. I think it's the era and auto-machine man that reminds me of CA.
There's nothing really wrong with this book, it's alright....but nothing has really stuck out.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) It's hard with such a short book, 'cause you see the potential but you know it isn't quite going to get there.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Exactly, plus the romance in this seems a bit foreced for me. I don't see the reason they're "in love", if you'd even call it that.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Yeah, too soon for love, for sure. But I do really like the idea of a human soul trapped in an automaton. Poor Erris! I really hope he can get a real body! It's so sad when he "turns off."

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I love the concept i just feel like the delivery lacked....idk what i didn't quite like about it i just didn't.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I feel sorry for Ennis too, but you have to admit...the idea of a boyfriend you can turn off is pretty appealing. When he gets annoying just turn that key and walla....instant peace. Lol.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Yeah, great concept, but I too was disappointed with the book. I really think she could have doubled the length, drawn out the characters and the action. Awww! I wouldn't want to turn Erris off, though! He's so sweet :D LOL.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I was really looking forward to this book. When i saw it in the shop i got so excited and it jumped ahead of all the other books sitting all lonely on my shelf. I just think it could have been a lot better.
Oh, i wouldn't turn him off. But i can think of plenty of other guys. I wish my bro's came with an off button or key in this case.

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Me too. I was really excited when I got it. I read it right when I got home with big expectations.

Hehehehe! That would be really hilarious. Every time they bugged you you'd just be like, "You know what, no more." And turn them off for a little while. Bahaha! Now there's a superpower that would come in handy--the power to turn someone off.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) I started it the next morning, cos i was busy that day.

Oh, hell yeah! That'd be an awesome superpower. I could totally see myself using that. And frequently. You know when someone is bothering you and you want them to go away, but actually talking to them, even just to tell them that, encourages them? Yeah. That's what it was like at the party i went to last night. A-nnoy-ing! I could have used it last night!

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) Ohhhh, yes, me too! I can think of quite a number of people I'd like to use that power on, such as mean guy#1. Hahaha! It would seriously come in handy. Plus, who better to have such a power than you or I? Clearly, we deserve some superpowers.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Gah. Stupid ass joke guy....he needs to be turned off. Forever!
I know! There's no one who deserves powers more than us. I mean, it's not like we're a couple of homicidal gals who have a bunch of bodies buried in the backward and a hit list longer than Santa's.
Oh. Wait.......

Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical) AHHAAHHAHAA! Yes, he does. Foreverrrrr! The world will be a better place without him.

Yeah, yeah, we're model citizens. We've never broken a law in our lives! Not even a parking ticket for us, oh no! *steps on severed finger, trips and falls* Dammit!

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) XD It would be. He needs to go.

Exactly! Model citizens. Do gooders. Whoops.... *sees dog running around with severed limb* I wish she'd stop digging in the backyard *sighs*