Allison (The Allure of Books)'s Reviews > Keturah and Lord Death

Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt

Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt has been on my to read list for years. I wish I hadn't waited to long to read it - maybe then my hopes wouldn't have been quite so high. Unfortunately, the book failed to live up to all my expectations.

Keturah lives in a small village that borders a large forest. She ends up getting lost in the forest one day and meets Death. She makes a temporary deal with him to put off her death, determined not to miss out on the possibility of falling in love. She spends days desperately trying to discover who her true love is, only to discover it in a most unexpected place.

So basically, the book confused the heck outta me. At first I assumed she'd be falling in love with Death. Then she makes a connection with someone she knows from the village and I was so mad! Then I was finally getting used to the idea of her with this other guy when things changed around on me again. Totally crazy. I never felt any legit chemistry anywhere, which is a real shame considering the main focus of the book was Keturah wanting to fall in love. Regardless of who she ended up with (and don't worry, I won't spoil it for you) I just couldn't enjoy it since I never felt any connection to any of the characters. Bummer.

I normally love stories like these - fantasy tales that take place in charming little villages with characters that have all grown up together and have formed their own kinds of unique bonds and superstitions. This was, by far, my least favorite of all the stories like that I've read. If you're in the mood for that type of story - let me highly recommend picking up recently released The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab instead!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keturah and Lord Death.