Mel's Reviews > The Personal Shopper

F 50x66
Jan 08, 10

bookshelves: chick-lit
Read in January, 2010

I've never read anything by Carmen Reid before, so I decided to check this out.
Annie Valentine has the perfect job...she's a personal shopper and spends all day choosing clothes for people. She has two children, Owen and Lana. Lana is the typical rebelling teen, but Owen is more interesting. She used to be married, but we don't find out what happened to her husband until the end. I was genuinely shocked, it was something I never saw coming. Never.
Annie is very lonely and desperate to find a new man. And so she begins her search.
All the characters are lovely, realistic and entertaining. From Annie's sister to her awful great aunt and her gay best friend Connor, all the characters are crafted perfectly. O.K, so there a few chick lit stereo types (Connor), but I hardly noticed. I was too busy wondering what could possibly happen next.
The book is written in third person, but is still mainly from Annie's perspective.
The plot never slows, using jumps in time from chapter to chapter to keep the book moving. It was a relaxing read and definitely a fun one.
One of the best chick lits I've read lately.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Personal Shopper.