Lady Ethereal Butterfly's Reviews > Diary

Diary by Chuck Palahniuk

Sep 27, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-literature
Recommended for: Those looking to step out of their reading comfort zone and try something new
Read from September 01 to 17, 2010

Misty Wilmot was a promising young artist back in her youth. She met Peter in art school, married him, had his daughter, and somewhere along the line her talent seemed to dry up. Her husband’s unsuccessful suicide attempt has left him in a coma, and Misty is turning to alcohol to get her through the days. Peter was a contractor, and now his former clients are threatening lawsuits at Misty because rooms in their houses have disappeared and there are disturbing messages on the walls. Amidst all of this stress and turmoil, Misty’s artistic talent comes roaring back. Soon Misty finds herself in the middle of a dangerous plot that could endanger many lives.

Diary by Chuck Palahniuk is a suspenseful, darkly twisted read. I’ve come to expect a certain level of disturbing and shocking content in a Chuck Palahniuk novel, enough to make me cringe but at the same time make it so I can’t look away. Diary definitely didn’t let me down on that front! Palahniuk paints a vivid picture of his characters and the setting, but he often chooses to describe these things based on their flaws and ugliness. I thought this was a very interesting and truly Palahniuk approach to thing. One of the things I love most about Chuck Palahniuk books is that he always includes really random and fascinating bits of information in his novels. Due to the art theme woven into the plot of Diary, the tidbits of information are all revolving around art, artists, and my personal favorite, the different ingredients in different shades of paint. You’d be really surprised what’s in some of it.

The plot of Diary felt different from the other Palahniuk novels I’ve read. It had a suspenseful, almost mystery novel feel to it, but done in a unique way that is true to the author’s nihilistic, unsettling style. While I did predict some of the aspects of the plot, I was still surprised by the majority of events taking place. Things weave together at the end in a much more complex, solid fashion than I would have expected. I was truly creeped out by the events taking place, probably because even though it’s unrealistic to think that people would actually stoop to the level of the characters in this novel, I could sort of see a bunch of greedy, disturbed people pulling something this horrifying. Even though Palahniuk’s novels are bizarre and hard to believe at times, they aren’t completely out of the realm of possibility.

For readers looking to step outside their comfort zone and try something new, I highly recommend Diary by Chuck Palahniuk. It was a fantastic read!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary.

09/01/2010 page 22
09/06/2010 page 131
50.0% "All of the books that I've read by Chuck Palahniuk have at least one scene that is disgusting, sickening, and cringe inducing. To be honest, I'd be let down if there wasn't a scene that made me lose my appetite for a few days. Diary doesn't disappoint when it comes to a truly repulsive scene that is FAR too descriptive of things I don’t need to think about. It’s awesome!" 91 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Buggy (new)

Buggy Fantastic review LEB, its on the shelf. Hey have you read Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk yet?? Its older, written after Fight Club but I missed it somehow

Lady Ethereal Butterfly Thanks Buggy! How are you doing these days? No, I haven't read Invisible Monsters yet, but it's sitting on my shelf. There are quite a few of his that I still need to read. I have to be in the right mood for a Palahniuk novel, but when I'm craving him, no one else will satisfy. Have you ever read Haunted by him? That one still makes me cringe. It might be the most unforgettable book I've ever read, and I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. I loved it, but some of it was just beyond disturbing, hahaha.

message 3: by Buggy (new)

Buggy No I haven't read Haunted yet either but I know what you mean about needing to be in the right mood for Chuck. These are two books that disturbed me so much I had to keep putting them down and going back to them after a romance.

Gerald's Game by Stephen King Hannibal by Thomas Harris

Lady Ethereal Butterfly Chuck is one of those authors that if I'd picked up one of his books for the first time at a time when I was in any other mood but a twisted one, I don't think I ever would have read anything else by him. I had good timing with him. I haven't read either of the books that disturbed you. I want to read the Hannibal books though because the movies were pretty good. I image Hannibal is even creepier in the books than the films.

message 5: by Buggy (new)

Buggy I actually read Silence of the lambs and Hannibal before I saw the movie and holy hell, yes they are creepy. There's this one scene that I've never forgotten and it makes me wonder how an author can even have those thoughts? Where did they come from? Eeek!

I recommend the first couple of books in the series (the ones I mentioned) then it kind of goes down hill IE- writing for the money only

Lady Ethereal Butterfly I'm convinced that some of these authors would be total psycho serial killers if they didn't get their creepy thoughts out on paper. That's too bad that it goes down hill. It's too bad that authors keep going with an idea or series for money once they have lost the motivation and passion that made it so great at first.