Shelley's Reviews > The Swimming Pool Library

The Swimming Pool Library by Alan Hollinghurst

Jan 08, 10

Read in January, 2010

Okay,I give up. I have tried and tried to push through this one and cannot do it. It seems like there are two separate books fighting with each other here. One is an interesting story and had some promise. The other is just sex. Just when the actual story gets going and I am absorbed in finding out more about Nantwich and what is going to happen with him and his memoirs, the author interrupts the story to throw in another repetitive and tedious sex scene that is identical to the one a few pages before and a few pages before that and a few pages before that. Almost like he felt the need to remind the reader every few minutes that his character was gay, as if you could forget.

I found too that I just did not care at all for Will. He was arrogant, annoying, completely self-absored and 100% consumed by his obsession with sex. Everywhere he went he was looking for someone to have sex with. Not a relationship but just a casual hit and run interaction.

Anyway, I made it 1/2 way through but could not finish it. It bored me and aggravated me too much. I think if the author had put less sex in it and stuck to the interesting part of the story it would have been a great book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Swimming Pool Library.

01/03/2010 page 112 "I am plodding through this one.It could be a really good story if he would quit reminding the reader that his character is gay. We know."