itpdx's Reviews > Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide

Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof

Jan 04, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction, lwv-book-group
Read in January, 2010

This is a very important topic and the book does a good job of discussing it and even more importantly gives very concrete examples of actions that we can take to impact the issues.

But it reads like a magazine article that has been padded to make a book or a book of background material that was published as an added resource to an interview or TV program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half the Sky.

message 1: by William (new) - added it

William Hayes You are one of many people who, in their reviews, describe this book as inspiring or inspirational or give it 4 or 5 STARS.

I, too, found this book inspiring. For me, inspiration is not only a rich internal experience that we desire and enjoy for its own sake. Much more than that, inspiration is also a spur to our acting in the world in a way that helps bring about a good result.

In the final chapter of the book, the authors recommend these actions:

Four Steps You Can Take in Ten Minutes: (251-2)

1. Go to www.globalgiving.org or www.kiva.org and open an account
2. Sponsor a girl or a woman through Plan International, Women for Women International, World Vision, or American Jewish World Service.
3. Sign up for e-mail updates on www.womensenews.org and www.worldpulse.com
4. Join the CARE Action Network at www.can.care.org

I visited the Global Giving website mentioned by the authors and made a contribution to a project for educating girls in Malawi. Perhaps you, too, were inspired to do something.