Jeff's Reviews > SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes And Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance

SuperFreakonomics by Steven D. Levitt

M_50x66
Jan 21, 10

Read in January, 2010

It was fine. I really liked Freakonomics, and I agree with their opening assertion in SuperFreakonomics that the massive success of the first book should have led to the follow-up being that much better. Presumably they had dozens, if not hundreds, great ideas for chapters being thrown their way, and plenty of resources and cooperation for their research.

But unfortunately I didn't find this book nearly as interesting as the first. It was certainly an interesting read, and if it were released instead of the first book it would've probably had similar success. But---and again I agree with the authors in this point---since their first book there are several books exploring many of these same ideas. The SF authors even admit to having to scrap ideas after they showed up in other books... one example is the whole your-birthdate-determines-your-likelihood-of-succeeding-in-professional-sports thing was handled very well by Gladwell in "Outliers" in his discussion of that phenomenon in the NHL.

The global warming stuff is obviously the marquee topic, and they save it until the end. The book is worth reading just for that, but you could always just skip to the end if the other stuff doesn't interest you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SuperFreakonomics.