Laurele's Reviews > The Winter's Tale

1719730
Dec 31, 09

bookshelves: arkangel-shakespeare-complete, books-read-in-2009
Read in December, 2009

This is one of my favorite Shakespearean plays. It's like a fairy tale that is pagan in setting but Christian in its themes, which include guilt, repentance, redemption, resurrection, forgiveness, grace,and love. There are, in a sense, two plays here, divided by the passage of time. The first play ends with the stage note, "Exit, pursued by a bear." This time through, I listened to the audio production from my Arkangel Complete Shakespeare set. An added benefit of this audio--Ciaran Hines plays Leontes, and Sir John Guilgud represents Time. I also have a video of the BBC production, featuring Sir Patrick Stewart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter's Tale.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maria Very thoughtful, thanks. I love this play, & it's time to reread.

David Sarkies Your thoughts on the play add a bit more perspective, namely the ideas of redemption and forgiveness, however I feel that it is less of a fairy tale than say Midsummer Night's Dream, which has a lot more of those elements in it.

Laurele It's an unusual and beautiful play—very hard to classify. Perhaps more myth or parable than fairy tale.

David Sarkies I would probably put it more in the realm of a myth, considering the number of inconsistencies with the setting. Though the parable works as well, with the theme of forgiveness and redemption.