Kyle's Reviews > The Farthest Shore

The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. Le Guin

Jan 01, 10

Read in December, 2009

From the back cover "Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea Cycle has earned a treasured place on the shelves of fantasy lovers everywhere, alongside the works of such beloved authors as J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis." ......I just don't get it. If you're looking for an escape, read the Earthsea books, but don't look for more.

I just never really believed any of the characters and I never feared for the ending. By about the first quarter of the book I KNEW that whats-his-name was going to win. No questions about it. Well I guess I did have questions, like where, when, and how the guy would win, but never if. Like I say if you need an escape from anything (and don't want to read pages and pages about how a white wall was constructed and looks (Lord of the Rings)) read and enjoy the Earthsea books. I think that thats their saving grace, they're simply an escape from reality, nothing more. Some of the best sci-fi/fantasy books have an underlining commentary on society or politics or something-or-other, but Earthsea does not. At least nothing I could pick up on. But my receivers are quite weak.

Its got to say something that I keep coming back to these books and reading the next one, albeit one every six months.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Farthest Shore.