Punk's Reviews > Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Time of Your Life

Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Joss Whedon

Jan 09, 10

bookshelves: graphic-novel, vampires
Read in January, 2010

Graphic Novel. The main piece here, "Time of Your Life," involves time travel, painfully futuristic English, and a plot I couldn't follow with a GPS. Buffy's transported to the future (don't ask why or how) and meets Melaka Fray. Now, I've read Fray and I was still pretty lost. This story is four parts and I don't think the time travel sections told me anything I needed to know, but it did give me one good laugh: "Summers, you drive like a spaz." Oh, Joss, you know what we like.

Meanwhile, back at the castle, there's some stuff happening which advances the plot and sort of makes sense. And even if the overall story was confusing, it's still wonderful to read authentic Scooby dialogue. They may not always look like the characters we know and love, but they sound like them.

Yes, the art is still bad, despite Moline picking up the pencils for this arc. He tends towards the cheesecake, ass-crack, super visible pelvis aesthetic so it's not really an improvement over Jeanty's perplexing artwork. But, I will give Moline this, the dramatic reveal at the end of part four? I knew exactly who the character was, giving it the emotional impact the story needed. I'm not sure Jeanty could have pulled that off.

The second story is "After These Messages...We'll Be Right Back!" and is done in an animated style. Buffy takes a nap and has a dream about being back in high school. She has a little rant at Giles, and her nostalgia for the good old days matched up nicely with mine. It's cute, but mostly filler.

Three stars. This volume didn't bring it, but it had its moments, and it's still better than no Buffy at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

01/07/2010 page 30