Ab's Reviews > Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

Jan 05, 2010

bookshelves: hints-of-magic, meh-why-not, canonical-should-reads, fantastically-fantastical, precocious-child-protagonist
Read in January, 2010

I had never read the actual story of Alice in Wonderland, and only had Disney's cartoon version to play back in my head. Prompted, I suppose, by a few different things: Tim Burton movie coming out in March, finding a free for-donation copy (obviously worn with love) with the illustrations and everything at work, and seeing a movie on Netflix, Phoebe in Wonderland -- I felt the urge to read the book.

As one can imagine, it didn't take me long, and I was surprised at how different the Disney movie was from the book (I know, naive!). The first book, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, is fairly similar, but Through the Looking-Glass was all kinds of different, and wonderfully strange and imaginative! For myself, I don't care about what "the story could really mean" or whatever overly-zealous English Literature Theorists and Critics do to analyze a book, I just felt in the story like a child, in the moment, in all its strangeness and beauty. And the poetry that runs rampant in it is really great (a big one left out of the movie).

Also, the introduction about Lewis Carroll, real name Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, was really interesting. To get his pseudonym, he did something like translate his name into Latin, then translate it back into anglicized English. Anyway, if you haven't read it, or think you're too old for such silliness, just indulge and give it a couple hours of your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass.