Bridget's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Jan 17, 10

bookshelves: fantasy-and-such, fic, 2010-reads, 2010-rereads, favorites, lgbtq-characters, steampunkish, listened-to-it
Read in November, 2011

So when I first put myself on hold for this I was under the impression that it was YA. It took me about half the book to question this assumption, and then I looked at the spine and discovered that I was wrong. I think it might still be a good book for older teens though.

I just loved Alexia, the whole concept of soulless and extra souled supernatural beings was pretty fascinating, and Akeldama is maybe the most appealing vampire I've ever read (This might have something to do with his similarities to Raul the Big Gay Dragon over at TWoP).

I also really loved the romance bits, something else I really wasn't expecting when I picked it up. They just seemed to add beautifully to the action, while still feeling romantic. Plus: Scottish werewolves. Um. Yes please.

Count me among those eagerly awaiting the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa It's on the Alex list! Did you see it? Totally on my TBR.

Alyson A copy just arrived for me! Must make sure I have plenty of tea on hand for the weekend. Will I need to make something called treacle tart to fully enjoy this?

Bridget Yay for Alex list! And I think treacle tart would absolutely enhance your reading experience! But I read it while eating cheese crackers and ice cream, and it was pretty awesome that way too.

message 4: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken Well, I just picked up my copy, but only have plan old double stuff to enjoy it with. Please nothing with Treacle, I have told you.

Alyson Turns out fruit tart and cognac will do if you don't have treacle tart and tea.