Lindsey's Reviews > The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

Jul 27, 10

bookshelves: award-winners, strong-female-character, ya-fiction, whitebread-america
Read on July 25, 2010

What I loved about this book is that it doesn't follow the stereotypical YA plot-lines that are currently out there. Sure, Frankie finally dates and really likes the guy she had a crush on all freshman year, but she doesn't want to marry him. It doesn't take over her life and dominate her existence. I like also that Frankie is completely aware of the fact that she is cute and that guys notice her. I'm so tired of this gorgeous teenage protagonists who are completely oblivious to their impact on other people. Frankie is smart. She knows what she's got, unlike all the other dumb, beautiful chicks in other YA these days.

The entire time I read this book, I really expected it to be about Frankie and Matthew or Frankie and Alpha or something along those lines. It wasn't. It really was about social climbing, the rich helping the rich, men take care of the women, and Frankie's need to take advantage of what she has, but at the same time wanting to exploit the system and have what she's not supposed to. It was both a critique and a sort of examination of boarding schools, rich people and their exclusivity, and well...wouldn't you use that power too if you had it?

I will definitely be reading more of E. Lockhart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks.