Stephanie's Reviews > Broken Mirrors/Broken Minds: The Dark Dreams of Dario Argento

Broken Mirrors/Broken Minds by Maitland McDonagh

Oct 26, 07

bookshelves: hollyrock, favorites, sicksicksick
Recommended for: emerging horror buffs seeking something new
Read in January, 1994

I want to be Maitland McDonough!!! This was her master's thesis for film school at Columbia University. What an awesome project! I saw her interview Dario Argento at a film festival a while back and kept thinking, "Lady, you've got the coolest job in the world."

This is a thorough, insightful analysis of Argento's work that celebrates these movies for what they are: weird, disturbing, and wonderful. Ti penso sempre, Dario.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Mirrors/Broken Minds.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott A lot of stuff has been written in English about Argento since this book came out but Broken Mirrors, Broken Minds remains one of the best works about the master! Her passion for Argento is contagious and the first thing you want to do after reading this book is settle in and watch all of Dario's movies, either, depending on your familiarity with him, for the first time or, if you're already a devotee, for the umpteenth time. I recently saw Maitland McDonough on a critics' panel discussing contemporary horror and I'm happy to report she has lost none of her wit or edge. She remains a darkly funny critic who continues to prefer films like Argento's, or Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects, to the latest romantic comedy.

Stephanie Yes, I was shocked to see that she is a reviewer for TV Guide!!! Seems a little pedestrian for her taste, but whatever pays the bills.

She should write a sequel to this book...maybe she's working on one as we speak.