Dana Stabenow's Reviews > Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

May 16, 2010

Read in January, 2010

Mantel has given a wonderful voice to Thomas Cromwell in this novel of an eyewitness perspective on Henry VIII's split from the Church of Rome. All the usual suspects are present, Katherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Cardinal Wolsey, Thomas More, along with a wonderful supporting cast of fully realized minor characters, whether fictional or historical. I don't know which is more painful to watch, Thomas More being viciously abusive to his wife and daughters over lunch, or Cromwell as a child watching a Lollard burned at the stake. Unless it's the progress of Henry's relationship with Anne.

What gives me the most writer envy is that the book is written in third person present tense, which normally leaves me cold. This time I was so mesmerized after the first page that I barely noticed. A must read for anyone who loves good writing and/or this period in history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf Hall.

Comments <span class="mediumText">(showing 1-3)</span>

dateUp arrow    newest »

Sallie One of my favorite novels of 2009. It certainly deserved the Man Booker prize.

Judie Loved the book, but wish I could appreciate the title. I understand the history of Wolf Hall, but don't see the link to the part of Cromwell's life that is highlighted in the novel. What am I missing?

message 1: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette Schlicher I imagine it WAS painful to watch "Thomas More being viciously abusive to his wife and daughters," since legitimate historians know--and clearly state that, on the contrary, he was quite kind and loving to them.