Lady Ethereal Butterfly's Reviews > Skin Game

Skin Game by Caroline Kettlewell

It all started at age 12 for Caroline Kettlewell. Cutting became an escape for her, a defence. "I know cutting was my defence against an internal chaos, against a sense of the world gone out of control." (60). This memoir spans almost two decades of her life, in which she cuts and tries to hide it.

I absolutely loved this honest, straightforward memoir. The amount of background information given about Caroline and her family built a vivid picture of a girl and her struggle without being too wordy and detailed. The author gives you a genuine picture of her childhood and young adult years, which provides a lot of insight into her thoughts and emotions, and her need to cut. I often felt that Caroline had a great disdain for herself, her life, and even the world. The way she struggles with her deep desire to cut is described in such an honest, open way that I was mesmerized. Nothing felt added or edited in Skin Game for entertainment or shock value. It all felt sincere. I really sympathized with her emotions and struggles, and I think a lot of people can relate to some or all of her memoir, even if they don’t want to admit it.

Skin Game is a fantastic, deep read. The writing set a great pace where I felt like I was progressing in the story, but not missing any important details. After reading it, I’ve found myself mulling it over, unable to get Caroline’s life out of my head. I would definitely recommend this book to those who have struggled with cutting or to those who love someone who does.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skin Game.