nancy (The Ravenous Reader)'s Reviews > The Scorch Trials

Oct 31, 10

bookshelves: 2010-release, young-adult, wish-list
Read from October 19 to 27, 2010

Actually 2 1/2 stars
When I picked up THE SCORCH TRIALS I knew I was in for a "WICKED" ride of a read, especially considering how it's series predecessor, THE MAZE RUNNER ended and totally flipped my world. I braced myself for the unexpected, was totally armed and yet I was still left perplexed and with a mild headache (will explain later) by the turn of events that unfolded before my very eyes.

THE SCORCH TRIALS begins hours after Thomas and the rest of the Gladers have been rescued and they believe that they are rewarded for solving the maze by the soft beds they now lie on and the food in their bellies. Yet, when they awaken they soon realize that their new surroundings are not as miraculous as they would believe and that something has gone horribly wrong. It is not long before they receive an unnerving visitor that informs the Gladers of their next objective that makes solving the maze seem like child's play. What ensues is mind blogging and unbelievable.

I enjoyed reading THE MAZE RUNNER and I could not wait to read it's sequel so you could imagine how eagerly I dived into THE SCORCH TRIALS. Within the first few chapters I was left with my mouth open and my mind buzzing. Then as the story progressed I became a bit confused...alright I admit, alot confused. I tried to make sense of what I was reading, but the more I tried the more my head ached. I enjoy being challenged and surprised but i dislike reading a story that leaves me with more questions than answers and that is exactly how I felt as I read THE SCORCH TRIALS. From Thomas' dreams to those infected with the scorch and then the ultimate surprise betrayel that was NOT a surprise. ARRRGGG!! and do not get me started on the ending. At that point I just banged my head against the book hoping to gain a bit more through the power of osmosis but it did not happen. I have to give James Dashner props for the originality of certain concepts
but it wasn't enough for me this time.

Who is WICKED? What is their ultimate goal? When are Thomas and the Gladers going to find out about the truth and what it means for everyone? Now that is something I wished I knew more about by the end of THE SCORCH TRIALS but unfortunately I will still have these questions and more to carry over until the next and final book in the series. Yet, although I enjoyed the suspense and originality of this series I don't know if I have the desire to continue.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorch Trials.

10/19/2010 "Oh what the heck is going on?"
10/27/2010