Mel's Reviews > Divine by Mistake

F 50x66
Dec 30, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, adult
Read in December, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I got this book for Christmas from a friend. I LOVE P.C Cast's House of Night series,which she wrote with her daughter, so I was expecting big things from this book.
Shannon Parker (teacher) swaps places with the spoilt Rhinannon and enters a mythical realm of the author's creation.
And she has to marry a centaur.
I thought this was a bit weird, until Cast explains about shape shifting. That's O.K then.
To be frank, the beginning was boring. I'm sure if you were a horse lover, it would have been interesting, but I'm not. I have nothing against horses, that part just went on and on until finally the hero, ClanFintan, turns up to save poor, befuddled Shannon. I didn't really understand the logic for her first little expedition.
The heroine, Shannon...some of what she did/said was entertaining, but the pop culture references were mostly lost on me. I put this down to the fact that a) I am not American and b) I am much younger than the author. I can't help but like Shannon though, because she's lively and intelligent and you can tell the author was having a lot of fun writing as her.
Luckily, the book steps up a gear in the middle and towards the end. The threat of the Fomorians was genuine and I loved the plan to give them small pox. Some of their, um, antics, were a little graphic for me, but it never got so bad I couldn't read anymore.
I found myself warming to the characters, especially Thalia, Victoria and Dougal. ClanFintan seems nice, but I feel I didn't get to know him very well. He seems to just be there to support Shannon. Maybe the other books go into more detail about him?
Some of the writing got a bit repetitive. The dream seqeunces all got a bit same-y and loads of sentences seemed to start with "too soon". I do love Cast's writing style, though.
One thing that niggled me throughout the book was longing to know what Rhinannon was up to in Shannon's world. Hopefully this will be in one of the sequels.
Overall, once you got past the beginning this was a great book I enjoyed reading. Great characters, great setting, and a great plot once it gets going. I'm definitely getting the sequel and I think this is a must read for fantasy/romance fans.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divine by Mistake.