Felicia's Reviews > The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre

The Best of H.P. Lovecraft by H.P. Lovecraft

Dec 30, 09

bookshelves: short-stories, horror
Read in December, 2009

Well, I don't watch a lot of horror films, but now I see where they all rip off everything from: Lovecraft!

I didn't read EVERY one of these stories, they got a bit repetitive after a while, but the stories were chilling and seeing how influential the storytelling is on modern horror is really interesting. Fascinating how much suspense can be put into a 10 page story.

Yes, I had nightmares of tentacle-things after I finished. Don't make fun of me.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best of H.P. Lovecraft.

message 1: by Craig (new)

Craig Williams But we must make fun of you, Felicia, otherwise what is the point of following you on Goodreads? ;)

I've been meaning to read some Lovecraft, but feel he might be a little too slow paced for me (not to mention a tad too racist).

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Felicia, I have been going through a huge Lovecraft kick for the last year...I've read all his stuff now and strangely feel compelled to re-read it. Yes, as the other commentator noted, some of Lovecraft's stuff is horribly overtly racist; even the stuff that isn't overtly so often has a subtext of it. That is sad. But what i like about him is the wild imagination and his willingness to let his language get completely over the top. The Whisperer in Darkness, The Colour Out of Space, and The Call of Cthulhu are among my favorites. I also agree with the other comment about him being slow-paced, which bothered me when i was younger, but now I find that I actually kind of like the fact that he takes his good old time...I like the way he sets a mood and his use of language...His Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is very different for him, and also just really weird.