Kate's Reviews > How to Be Inappropriate

1914270
May 02, 12

bookshelves: signed-by-author, memoir
Read from April 30 to May 02, 2012 — I own a copy

I kept waiting for this book to get funny and inappropriate, but then it just ended.

My favorite essay from the book was Mooning: A Short Cultural Essay. It only had a few funny moments and really wasn't that inappropriate. Trust me, I have seen and experienced worse.

For a book that has such an awesome cover, the material inside just didn't cut it and left me disappointed. It seemed like the pieces were thoughts more than essays and a lot of them left me wanting more. Maybe if Daniel Nester had flushed out more of them, then I probably would of liked this book better. Or maybe it's just that I am so over the kind of books that try to be funny in an ironic way, but just reads like:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah [insert what might be considered an ironic and funny statement that really isn't that funny or ironic and see if anyone laughs] blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Which just doesn't translate very well to the page, at least for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be Inappropriate.

05/01/2012 page 64
24.0% "So far Mooning: A Short Cultural History has been the best piece."