Kristen's Reviews > The Sister

The Sister by Poppy Adams

Jan 05, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2009
Read in January, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I liked this one. It seemed a bit slow to start, but once the story picked up, I was quite immersed. Other reviewers have hypothesized that the narrator (Ginny) has Asperger's Syndrome, but I didn't get that vibe, or maybe I just don't know enough about it. There are several flashbacks in the book that indicate she was visited by a doctor quite frequently as a child and a social worker visits her as an elderly woman....Either way, you are deeply involved in the narrator's point of viwe and it is fairly obvious that she is OCD. It really added a unique perspective to an already interesting story.

This woman's life was tragic. She was beaten by her drunk mother and her sister, Vivien, sufferred a tragic accident that resulted in the loss of her womb. Her mother 'fell' down the cellar stairs and her father went mad with dementia. She even acted as a surrogate mother for her sister and the baby died shortly after birth.

She ends up living alone in the family mansion w/ her moths and her routines. Vivien comes back after nearly 50 years and disrupts all that and that's what really starts the book off.

I thought this was a fascinating read and I really liked the writing. Some people said they glossed over the bits about the moths, but I found them interesting. Either the author did some extensive research or she herelf is fascinated by moths!

I liked it. I don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone. Maybe if you want something slightly dark and out of the norm, or if you have a passion for moths or mental health. :)

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sister.

12/31/2009 page 152