Holly's Reviews > The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle

Jan 08, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, classics
Read in January, 2010, read count: 1

At my high school, I have to read 500 pages worth of classic books. I'm not the kind of girl to fawn over Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre. I wanted an interesting classic, so I picked up Robin Hood (because who doesn't like him?) I was especially drawn to him thanks to a recent viewing of Robin Hood: Men in Tights. Thank you, Mel Brooks.

Anyway. Back to the book. I was concerned about the whole "steals from the rich and give to the needy" at first because the whole premise seemed to be this: Robin meets a strong stranger. They fight until Robin is overcome. Robin toots his bugle to get his merry men to come. Robin asks the stranger to become part of his band. Stranger accepts. They get drunk. The End.

The characters were actually pretty diverse and entertaining. I think the constant meeting of new characters helped the story because we would learn a person's story every few pages and then see how Robin and Little John either tried to help them or asked them to join their band.

And there was some action, too! I guess that's kind of obvious. The villains constantly getting outsmarted is always fun to see. You can't help but want to laugh at them and say "Didn't you learn the last time?"

If anyone else has to read classics for school, this is a good one. They do talk a little funny and it's a tad hard to understand at times, but you get used to the rhythm quickly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood.

Quotes Holly Liked

Howard Pyle
“He who jumps for the moon and gets it not leaps higher than he who stoops for a penny in the mud.”
Howard Pyle, The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood

01/06/2010 page 270
67.84% "I quite like this, even if it isn't what I expected. It's more about being "merry" than helping the poor, but still cool."
01/07/2010 page 340
85.43% "Getting really good..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (last edited Apr 17, 2010 01:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Dewey Thanks for your review. Yeah, the words can be pretty interesting. I'm glad my computer's dictionary has words from back then (e.g. quoth, eke, yeoman, murrain, shrive, troth, Michaelmastide, plover, hauberk, vespers, Malmsey, sack, capons, pottle, lea, thews, ado, etc.)