Cheryl's Reviews > Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures by Laura Lee Guhrke

Jan 26, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, laura-lee-guhrke, historical-romance
Read from January 20 to 25, 2010

What a delightful and entertaining book! 5 Stars!!

Daphne Wade fell in love with her employer the minute she laid eyes on him. She came to work for Anthony, the Duke of Tremore, to restore priceless ruins found under ground on his property. Daphne is a wallflower, one that blends in with her surroundings. She wears spectacles and always has on a hideous apron to protect her clothing. Her clothing is nothing special either, all of her dresses are some shade of brown. Whenever the Duke comes around, Daphne never knows what to say to him. She gets nervous and tongue tied and usually cannot get out more than two words to him-- I think we can all relate to that! Can't you remember having a crush on someone and getting so nervous your thoughts and your mouth did not work together?

Unfortunately Daphne overhears the Duke having a conversation with his sister about Daphne. His sister, Viola, is trying to convince Anthony to allow Daphne to go to London with her and give Daphne the chance to go to some balls and possibly meet some gentlemen in hopes of finding a husband. Only Anthony cannot imagine any gentleman taking notice of her and he cannot imagine why she would want to marry anyways, he doesn't think she has a romantic bone in her body "with that horrible bun she wears and those dreary clothes, the girl's as noticeable as a stick insect on a twig. She is so much a part of the background, I doubt any man would even see her unless she were standing a foot in front of him, and even then, he would forget her the moment she was out of his line of vision. I know I do." He also pointed out that "unless she is talking about artifacts, the girl cannot even carry on a conversation." But Viola knew this to not be true because she and Daphne had formed a friendship and liked her quite well. So she set out to help Daphne.

After hearing the man she had fallen in love with talk about her so harshly, Daphne was furious! How dare the man talk about her in this way, a stick insect on a twig?!?! So she gave her resignation to the Duke, telling him she would be joining his sister so she could have a season in London. Her anger towards him helped her to overcome her nervousness and was no longer the quiet and shy girl that he was used to. Daphne turned into someone very intriguing and mysterious to Anthony.

She had given him one month to find a replacement for her and in this one month Anthony vowed to convince her to stay. He would use whatever means to convince her, money, his charm, whatever it took to not lose her. It is in these exchanges of him trying to convince her that they start to really fall in love with each other. There are also a lot of very funny and very steamy scenes throughout also!

One of my favorite parts of the book is when Daphne has left for London and Anthony gives her a gift; a book called Le Langage des Fleurs or The Language of Flowers. And he courts by sending her different gifts of flowers and plants. She then is able to look up that secret meaning in the book he gave her. It is so romantic and I wish that men and women still did this today. It really was very sweet!!

So, this was an excellent book and I recommend it to all historical romance lovers! It is terribly romantic and sweet and filled with sensual tension! Wonderful!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guilty Pleasures.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cheryl This was a great book! I haven't written my review yet, but it will be getting 5 stars from me!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I'm glad you liked it. I wanted to hate Anthony, but he came around.

Cheryl Yes at first I thought he was such a jerk. I wondered how in the world the author was going to make him into a likable hero, but then he did some very romantic and sweet things and he more than made up for his earlier foibles. And when you think about it you can understand why he said the things he did in the beginning of the story.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Oh, wow! I can't wait to get this one. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks sooooooooo much for the recommend, Cheryl.

Cheryl Your welcome! I know you will love it!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Cheryl wrote: "Yes at first I thought he was such a jerk. I wondered how in the world the author was going to make him into a likable hero, but then he did some very romantic and sweet things and he more than ma..."

He was a plainspeaking, blunt man, so it made sense that he would say that. I just don't like how insensitive he was. But he came around. :)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Can you recommend anything else by her? I have to order it and need to cushion the order for free shipping.

Cheryl UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Can you recommend anything else by her? I have to order it and need to cushion the order for free shipping."

I have only read two of her other books, I liked them also. A friend let me borrow them and they were not in series order, so I bought the others in the series to complete it. I also am a stickler for reading books in order! But I did read two out of order so now I am catching up on the series. The others I've read were The Marriage Bed and Secret Desires of a Gentleman. I wrote reviews on them so feel free to check them out. I am trying to work my way through these two series now.

message 10: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Excellent review! I'm going to look forward to reading this one.