Sarah BT's Reviews > The Snowy Day

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats

Dec 30, 2009

I remember seeing The Snowy Day on Reading Rainbow as a child and enjoying it. Reading it again as an adult, I still enjoyed it. I even read this one while I was babysitting recently, and the two-year-old I was watching requested it be read over and over. It's truly a classic that has stood the test of time and I believe it will continue to do so.

The artwork doesn't have a lot of detail, but it transports the reader into it's snow filled pages. It's simple, but the snow covers all the outdoor scene pictures, so the reader really feels s though they too are surrounded by snow.

The activities that Peter enjoys in the snow are things most children have enjoyed in the snow or hope to enjoy. Peter is too young to participate in the older boys snow fight, but he hopes to play someday. Peter also saves a snowball in his coat pocket, hoping to keep a piece of snow forever, which I think many children can relate to.

This is a Caldecott winner that I think could also win an award for the story. It's a fun read, it's relateable, and Peter is the perfect representation of an awe filled child experiencing a major snowfall. An easy read-aloud, The Snow Day should be included in all library collections as well as bookshelves at home.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snowy Day.

06/04 marked as: read