Sarah BT's Reviews > Flight Explorer, Volume 1

Flight Explorer, Volume 1 by Kazu Kibuishi

Dec 30, 2009

I've seen the Flight comics in my library young adult collection, but they are almost always checked out and I never get to read them myself. I used this module as a chance to finally read one. I picked up Flight: Explorer mostly because it had a short story about Jellaby, which I had been wanting to read since I first read the Jellaby graphic novel by Kean Soo.

I loved this collection. Just like short stories are perfect ways to find new authors, this graphic novel collection is a great way to be introduced to new illustrators and art styles. Each story has somewhat of an adventure theme to them and this collection is perfect for younger readers.

It's really hard to say which story I liked the most-they all were great. I really enjoyed Jellaby: First Snow, because I have a soft spot for the purple monster, and Kazu Kibuishi's Copper, story about a boy and his dog who have an adventure hopping across large mushrooms, made me laugh out loud.

I would give this to readers who enjoy graphic novels and also readers who aren't typically fans of the format. There's so much to pick from that I think readers will find something they enjoy. I would also pass this on to critics of graphic novels-I think this collection, as well as the other Flight collections, are a great example of the storytelling that can be found in graphic novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flight Explorer, Volume 1.