Sara's Reviews > The Girl On Legare Street

The Girl On Legare Street by Karen   White

Mar 04, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, adult-fiction, ghost-stories
Read from February 23 to March 03, 2010

3.5 stars. This sequel to The House on Tradd Street was entertaining but nowhere near as good as the first book. In this, Melanie Middleton - Charleston realtor and seer of ghosts - is shocked when her long-absent mother (a famous medium) returns to her life after being absent for over thirty years. Her mom wants Melanie's help in restoring her grandmother's old house and ridding it of the ghost there that means them harm. Melanie is also dealing with an annoying reporter who won't leave her alone and her attraction to Jack, the writer who helped her solve the mystery in the previous book.

I loved the descriptions of the city and the historical aspect to the book. The old houses sounded gorgeous (though a lot of work to restore), the ghosts that occasionally appeared to Melanie were interesting, and the mystery kept me reading. However, at times, it seemed that the mystery was needlessly complicated to the point where it almost didn't make sense; on more than one occasion, I had to flip back pages to remind myself of other details and try to keep everything straight. Along the same lines, the relationship between Melanie and Jack was stretched thin to the point of ridiculousness, keeping them apart for silly reasons and trying to draw out their relationship. Although Melanie was supposed to be nearly forty years old, her mentality at times (especially when it came to Jack) made her seem incredibly immature and irritating (scenes where she thought things like, "He kissed me! But he probably still hates me so I should avoid him" didn't particularly endear me to her).

So, there was quite a bit that drove me crazy about this novel and its main character, but I thought the book overall was pretty good - just not great. The setting was perfect, the mystery was entertaining, and the characters were well-described, even if they did make me roll my eyes more than once. The book ended on a cliffhanger (which I HATE), so I'm sure there will be a third book, which I'll no doubt read, since I'm now invested in this world. Hopefully, though, the third book will feature a much more mature Melanie because I don't think I can handle her being this immature again!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl On Legare Street.