Kae's Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
2988442
's review
Aug 25, 10

bookshelves: best-of-2010, favorites
Read in August, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Mockingjay, the final book in Suzanne Collin's Hunger Games Trilogy. For a year, I had been anxiously waiting to read the about the adventures of the rebels, the hopefully happy ending. How wrong was I. There is an ending - but it is not as happy as most expected it to be. The rebels fought, they won. But in a sense, Collin's shows us that when violence is used to such extremes, no one wins; yes, a winner is declared - but the sadness and loss of both sides proves that no one really wins in war. While reading this book, I felt almost as depressed as a sober Haymitch.

There is a lot of death throughout the book (I sobbed at Finnick's). However, even though there is so much death in this book, most of it comes to new characters; the leader of district 13, Coin; Bogg, one of Katniss's bodyguards; mostly new or unknown characters that pass on. But alot of the death-related sadness in the book comes not from individual characters, but more from Katniss's vivid description of the mass homicide that they are left with at the end of the war. The group of children murdered on President Snow's doorstep - Prim included. The workers trapped in the Nut, a mountain in district two. The hospital burned down in district eight. That, more than anything, sets such a depressing tone.

In my opinion, however, it wasn't death that made such a sad air around the book. Some of the tortures make it worse. Peeta's hijacking, Finnick's molestation, Johanna's physical pain. And to top the list, Katniss - expected to be the rock strong Mockingjay when all of this happens around her. All this pain that she goes though, and so much more, should make her deserve a happy life afterwards. However, instead of in the company of her surviving friends and family, she finds herself alone, in a burned-down district, sitting by the fire in her Victor's house. That, more that anything, saddens the reader. When Katniss deserves someone with her, to make her feel less alone, the only person to console her is herself. Yes, in the end she and Peeta end up together. But during the book, she is always alone.

Even though this book is a far departure from the first two books, I believe that Suzanne saved her own series. She, like Cinna, made sure that no one would forget the 'girl on fire'. When so many books have slightly bittersweet endings, this book is much heavier on the bitter, distinguishing itself from so many others. There is no Disney ending to the Hunger Games, and I believe that if there was one than it would ruin the message of the series.

Suzanne Collins created her third bittersweet masterpiece, completeing one of the most different and best trilogies in YA Fiction today.

**note** its beautiful writing, too. suzanne collins has a gorgeous voice.
269 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.
sign in »

Quotes Kae Liked

Suzanne Collins
“You're still trying to protect me. Real or not real," he whispers.
"Real," I answer. "Because that's what you and I do, protect each other.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“You love me. Real or not real?"
I tell him, "Real.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“Finnick?" I say, "Maybe some pants?"
He looks down at his legs as if noticing his outfit for the first time. Then he whips off his hospital gown leaving him in just his underwear. "Why? Do you find this" -- he strikes a ridiculously provocative pose -- "distracting?"
I laugh. Boggs looks embarrassed and Finnick looks more like the guy I met at the Quarter Quell”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“Oh, Peeta, Don't make me sorry I restarted your heart.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“What about Gale?"
"He's not a bad kisser either," I say shortly.
"And it was okay with both of us? You kissing the other?" He asks.
"No. It wasn't okay with either of you. But I wasn't asking your permission," I tell him.
Peeta laughs again, coldly, dismissively. "Well, you're a piece of work, aren't you?”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“I must have loved you a lot.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“If I could grow wings, I could fly. Only people can't grow wings," he say's. "Real or not real?"
"Real," I say. "But people don't need wings to survive."
"Mockingjays do.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“I think....you still have no idea. The effect you can have.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“Well, don't expect us to be too impressed. We just saw Finnick Odair in his underwear.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“Finnick!" Something between a shriek and a cry of joy. A lovely if somewhat bedraggled young woman--dark tangled hair, sea green eyes--runs toward us in nothing but a sheet. "Finnick!" And suddenly, it's as if there's no one in the world but these two, crashing through space to reach each other. They collide, enfold, lose their balance, and slam against a wall, where they stay. Clinging into one being. Indivisible.
A pang of jealousy hits me. Not for either Finnick or Annie but for their certainty. No one seeing them could doubt their love.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“You're a painter. You're a baker. You like to sleep with the windows open. You never take sugar in your tea. And you always double-knot your shoelaces.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“Delly lost her temper at Peeta over how he treated you. She got very squeaky. It was like someone stabbing a mouse with a fork repeatedly.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“There's a chance that the old Peeta, the one who loves you, is still inside. Trying to get back to you. Don't give up on him.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“Peeta and I had adjoining cells in the capitol. We're very familiar with each other's screams.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“While I was waiting...I ate your lunch.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“Fire beats roses again.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“But his arms are there to comfort me, and eventually his lips. On the night I feel that thing again, the hunger that overtook me on the beach, I know this would have happened anyway. That what I need to survive is not Gale's fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that. So after, when he whispers, "You love me. Real or not real?" I tell him "Real.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Suzanne Collins
“I know what blood poisoning is, Katniss," says Peeta. "Even if my mother isn't a healer."
I'm jolted back in time, to another wound, another set of bandages. "You said that same thing to me in the first Hunger Games. Real or not real?"
"Real," he says. "And you risked your life getting the medicine that saved me?"
"Real." I shrug. "You were the reason I was alive to do it.”
Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay


Comments (showing 1-49 of 49) (49 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Becca I know right?!?! I think I may explode because if I have to wait, then I won't have money because of other books. Oh the agony.


message 2: by Kae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kae Becca wrote: "I know right?!?! I think I may explode because if I have to wait, then I won't have money because of other books. Oh the agony."

I know how you feel. :) about 75% percent of my money is spent at Barnes & Noble :)




Safia I can't wait either, i'm growing so impatient!


message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 28, 2010 06:54PM) (new)

I totally can't wait either. If Katniss dies, I bet that Gale will end up with Madge. I also think that Katniss will end up with Gale no matter what, which means Katniss will tell a lie that she broke up or divorced Peeta.

I also love your predictions Kae.


message 5: by Daisney (new)

Daisney i totally agree she should stick with Peeta (total hotty)


message 6: by Nadiaa (new) - added it

Nadiaa When I found out it was coming out in August, I was like, "Oh, that's not long at all!"
And now its February, and I'm dying inside.

Katniss isn't going to die because of the whole First-Person angle she's been working with the previous two books. But I'm open for the author to prove me wrong, hahaha.

I REALLY hope Gale and Madge don't end up together. In Catching Fire, when she insinuated that Madge and Gale had something, I was screaming NOOOO.

But, as it is, I happen to be a die-hard Gale fan, hahaah.


message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 28, 2010 06:27PM) (new)

Nadiaa wrote:
I really hope Gale and madge don't end up together. In Catching Fire, when she insinuated that Madge and gale had something, I was screaming NOOOO.

I know exactly how you feel. I had the same expression!
I don't want Katniss to end up with Peeta though.


message 8: by Nadiaa (new) - added it

Nadiaa Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about. I've never wanted Peeta and Katniss to be together, though all of my friends have been "Team Peeta" since the first few pages of Hunger Games.
But, I dont really know if I'd want Gale and Katniss to be together, either. Secretly, I kind of just want Gale to myself. hhahah


message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Peeta is definitely not allowed to die! He is my absolute favourite! I know I couldn't go through his death either. They have to get him back!

Hahah, anyways, I'm really looking forward to this book. I think the open ended though would be nice, though I have to admit when author's do that I can't stop thinking about the possibilities and it really gets in under my skin, because I want to know what happens.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the book.
Just...6 more months. Dang.


message 10: by CJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

CJ At first I was really rooting for Gale too, but Peeta sort of grew on me. Damn that Peeta. Because while what happened with Katniss and Gale is totally unfair, and I feel ruins their trust and any sort of relationship they could have had, what happened to Peeta was unfair too, and I just have to root for him. Suzanne makes it easy to see how Peeta is a better person than Katniss. While I doubt that Suzanne would kill her off, I can see why she wouldn't be on your 'Have To Live' list.

Your fourth prediction is my favorite as well, except I think someone important will still end up dying, along with the rest of what you have said. My guess is, Haymitch is a goner, with the direction I think she is going. I'll be sad to see him go :(

I don't really mind if Gale dies, as it will leave Katniss feeling less guilty for having feelings for Peeta, but I'm concerned for his family, and the fact that his death might negatively affect Katniss and Peetas relationship instead of helping it.


message 11: by kate (new) - added it

kate well first off, i dont want anyone to die but death scenes make a great book, (that makes me sounds kinda...) but i think someone huge is going to go. my thought is that haymitch is the most expendable, so at least him i think. sad day...

and this is kinda a rabit trail here but, kae? you mentioned at the end of your review "the fang release" are you talking about the maximum ride fang release?


Sa Phuong It seem like someone important will die in the 3rd book. I hope that in this book Peeta will not be rescue by katniss. Instead, he'll find a way to escape with Johanna (in a way i don't want her to die) then meet up with Katniss and help her with the rebellion. That way Peeta won't be the damsel in distress anymore. I really hated how he's always get injuried and portrait as the weak character even though he's capable of so much more. I also want to see more of Gale character because even though he appread more in CF i still feel like i don't really know him that well.
OMG i wish it's august already >____<


message 13: by Nikky (new)

Nikky I really hope that Peeta does not die. He is one of my favorite characters.
Katnisss on the other hand annoyes the crap outta me. She really was acting dumb in book two I thought.
I would hate it if Gale ends up with Katniss, but I would hope for Gale to find someone else.
I do honestly think Katniss will end up with gale though, sadly. I am a peeta fan so I would like Peeta and Katniss to end up together, But I think Suzzane is going to kill him off....


Sa Phuong Nikky wrote: "I really hope that Peeta does not die. He is one of my favorite characters.
Katnisss on the other hand annoyes the crap outta me. She really was acting dumb in book two I thought.
I would hate i..."


I totally agree with you. I hope that Katniss and Peeta would end up together, Gale with Madge (hopefully), but right now it feel like she'll end up with Gale :(
Poor Peeta


Jamie peeta will live and blond boy always get the girl that's my prediction


message 16: by Levina (last edited Apr 03, 2010 03:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Levina  C. I was rooting for Gale at first, but I think Peeta deserves it more, after all he's gone through. But I don't want any of them to die. Although I'm sure some of them will.

...

I have to wait until OCTOBER 5TH for Fearscape (this other book) I hate waiting. It drives me crazy.
(Not to mention waiting for Bitterblue,April 1 2011, Sammy Keyes 13, 2010 and Mastiff, 2011)

Maybe I should plot world domination with Opal while I'm waiting. Hmm...

~edit again~

I just finished Catching Fire and I think Gale deserves it more now. Peeta's awesome, but I think I know who Katniss will choose...
"Gale is mine. I am his. I can't believe it took him nearing the edge of his life for me to realize that..."
...I think that's what she said. Anyway, due to the Quarter Quell, I'm still not sure. She is really confusing =S

~edit once again~

Yes. Poor, poor, Peeta. *cries*


Julie Oh my gosh. I really really REALLY want Rue to come back to life!! That who be AWESOME... but obviously, that's not happening... :(

However, I would be really happy if Peeta died! I think I'm the only one who hates Peeta... he's so annoyingly clingy and cheesy. He's like a living cliche!


Julie Nadiaa wrote: "When I found out it was coming out in August, I was like, "Oh, that's not long at all!"
And now its February, and I'm dying inside.

Katniss isn't going to die because of the whole First-Person..."

I totally agree! I don't like the idea of Gale and Madge together. I love them both, but Gale belongs with Katniss.

There are other books in YA literature that have a first person narrative and the main character dies, so it might be possible... it would definitely make the series memorable, even more so than it is. But since that angle's been played, I'm hoping she comes up with something completely unseen before.


message 19: by Nadiaa (new) - added it

Nadiaa Has anyone read anything else she's written, besides Hunger Games?
I think she's absolutely brilliant at the moment, and I'd like to know if her other books measure up to these ones?


message 20: by Mau (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mau I love your prediction,Kae. Option 4 was the best!


message 21: by Jake (new)

Jake Hostler You people are already reviewing the book? It hasn't even come out yet! But I can't wait either...


message 22: by Nadiaa (new) - added it

Nadiaa Jake wrote: "You people are already reviewing the book? It hasn't even come out yet! But I can't wait either..."

-----------
No, not reviewing! Predicting.


message 23: by Wanderer (new) - added it

Wanderer I absolutely love this book series. However, it is the first book where I have moderately to strongly (I can't decide) disliked the main character. In case someone is terribly behind, that main character is Katniss. She is brave, strong, determined, intelligent, and kind at times. It's just that for some reason I can't bring myself to relate with her as much as I can with other main characters I've seen. Anyways, back on the subject of Gale and Peeta. Short and simple, I can't decide. :)


message 24: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn I cant wait till the book comes out but i think gale and katniss were meant to be i dont see why so may people like peeta better


message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Well Katniss can't exactly die, can she? Since the books are in first person? With her as the narrator?
And I kind of dislike Peeta. He kind of uses the fact that he likes Katniss but she doesn't like him as a way to make her feel bad. And sometimes he's sweet and perfect and stuff, and other times he's a jerk. But I guess thats how people can be... But I actually go back and forth between Gale and Peeta :) so yeah.


Allison Wonderland Am I the only one who finds the Katniss/Gale thing kind of weird? I preferred their platonic friendship as it was written in the first book. I wish that more young adult literature (hell, who am I kidding, more literature in general) would allow male and female characters to be "just friends" rather than constantly pairing them up and making all their interactions romantic or sexual. It really doesn't give them enough credit as fully-realized characters.

Anyway, I definitely prefer Peeta to Gale for Katniss... I think his personality complements hers perfectly. Katniss and Gale would just be too much of the same thing. Though I like that Katniss doesn't really seem to need a romance with anyone. She has feelings for both Peeta and Gale, but a relationship is not her main priority.

Speaking of Katniss, I'm surprised to see so much dislike for her. I think she's a fantastic heroine! She has force and personality and more than a few flaws - all of which make her far more interesting than all the pretty, boring little Bella Swanns of the world. Katniss is powerful in a way that most female characters are not allowed to be, and she isn't trotted out as being beautiful or sexy to make her more "acceptable," either. She's tough, prickly, and not afraid to get a little ugly. And I think that's awesome.


message 27: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel Cressman Yes, I did like Katniss and Gale better as friends. My only hope is that this doesn't end up like Inkdeath did. (I really, really didn't like Doria. Like really. He irked me. Farid was so much better.) Thats probably what it will be like if Gale is chosen as well.

Also, I don't know if I would like an open ending either. Most books that ended openly I disliked the ending. It seemed like the author was being lazy and decided to leave out the very last part. But thats just what I think.


message 28: by Mallory (last edited May 10, 2010 01:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mallory I think Katniss will end up with whoever is alive at the end of the book. I can see:

-Peeta sacrificing himself, telling Katniss to move on as he dies dramatically and I start sobbing (and Katniss turns to Gale).

or

-Gale spending all his time at the battle front, and he dies like Katniss' father did, without a trace and I start sobbing (and Katniss turns to Peeta)

Either way, I hope not TOO much time is spent on the romance angle. I prefer the rebellion over any of the other plot lines.


Green11frog I think haymitch and katniss will most likely survive but either gale or peeta is gonna die


Green11frog Allison wrote: "Am I the only one who finds the Katniss/Gale thing kind of weird? I preferred their platonic friendship as it was written in the first book. I wish that more young adult literature (hell, who am I ..." I think your totally right


 (the goodlooking one) but if Gale and katniss do get married or what ever womt every one think that there still cuzins?


Elizabeth A lot of people are saying Gale will end up with Madge. Am I the only person who thinks she might have died when District 12 was destroyed?


Cristina Wanderer wrote: "I absolutely love this book series. However, it is the first book where I have moderately to strongly (I can't decide) disliked the main character. In case someone is terribly behind, that main cha..."

i agree with u in alot of ways but one..i can relate to katniss erfectly cuz [sad to say:] i am exacly like her, dosent see a good thing when shes got it [i know that from exerience:] not afraid to get dirty, very opininated, and moddy, but with a very strong ersonalty [so i have been told:] so i really understand her and i feel like sometimes its me in the book...


Selina—Η κόρη του Απόλλωνα Holy crap! Your list of people-to-die is the exact same as mine!! xD

But you DID forget ONE name....

7. PRESIDENT FREAKING SNOW!!!!!!

Other than that, you get a thumbs up! :3


I honestly prefer Peta, although it is very difficult....I reallyreallyreally want Cinna to live, but that most likely means he's going to die a very painful death, and Katniss is going to be forced to watch and be able to do nothing about it....:*(


message 35: by Claire (new)

Claire question: IS ANYONE ELSE WONDERING WHO THE HELL IS THE RED HAIRED GIRL ??? and at first I adored gale but then peeta grew on me... even though gale is such a sexier name... damnit !


Roshio aaah 3 more days!! I think I'm rooting more for Peeta but its a close thing. I'd be happy with either, but she better not kill them! although to be honest I would rather Gale die than end up with Madge! but this is what has been bothering me for ages, in Catching Fire, what was the deal with the blood on President Snow's breathe!?!!? surely not a vampire cause I would be pissed off!


message 37: by Alli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alli WTH IS WRONG WITH YOU? YOU CAN'T POST ALL THOSE SPOILERS WHEN THE BOOK JUST CAME OUT YESTERDAY! YOU AT LEAST HAVE TO CHECK THE 'this review contains spoilers' box!!!!!!! NOT EVERYONE HAS ALREADY FINISHED THE BOOK YOU KNOW!!!!!!!!!!! YOU JUST TOLD EVERYONE SOME OF THE BIGGEST EVENTS IN THE BOOK! like honestly.


Alyssa I loved your review! It actually made me look at the ending in a new light, and I think I'm going to read it again next week when I'm not so sad from all of the dead characters. Poor Finnick.

And don't worry, Snow's not a vampire :)


message 39: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Doolan I loved your review I think you really did capture what Suzanne Collins was trying to elude to about the war. I would love to hear her own review of her book and see if it correlates. I think her writing style blew the twilight saga and love triangle out of the water. Where twilight is a teenage love story, this story even though it features teenagers has such a ring of truth and sincerity that even though I am frustrated about the amount of deaths and the near insanity of Peeta and Katniss I find that I cant be mad as Suzanne Collins has made the characters too real that I am slightly depressed. I normally prefer the twilight endings where no one of significance dies and everyone finds there person they love but this trilogy has captivated me more than any book I have read its on par with ' To kill a mockingbird' and 'Under the hawthorn tree'


message 40: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz THIS IS THE TRUTH! it is such a depressing book! i think that if it had a happy ending it still would have worked as long as she made it work (Suzanne Collins can work miracles!) this was a not-up-to-par ending to an amazing trilogy. it was kinda cofising ais some bits, and i was soooooooooooo dissapointed that she didnt end up with Gale cuz he was her soul-mat. it was so sad! :( I wanted to cry when everyone died but couldnt and this review has brought tears to my eyes!


Suhyun Your review was great and I agree with you completely, she made the war realistic in the sense that people die back and front, even people who you thought were too important to die. I have to say, I cried when Finnick died too. I hated and loved the ending, it was powerful in the sense that its no fairy tale ending and she's still scarred from what happened all those years. I found it disturbingly realistic. But overall, love the trilogy and her style of writing.


message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

I stayed up until 12:30 to finish the book. I had to stop reading at one point the part were the children are murdered. it just broke me. Then after I realized prim died i cried again. So many parts of the book made me cry.


message 43: by Rachellynn (new) - added it

Rachellynn Michelle wrote: "Peeta is definitely not allowed to die! He is my absolute favourite! I know I couldn't go through his death either. They have to get him back!

Hahah, anyways, I'm really looking forward to this ..."
peeta all the way!!!!!!!!!!!


Pinsky Yo te apoyo!


message 45: by Ihatereading (new)

Ihatereading i agree with your opinion that the book has an overall tone of deep saddness because Katniss inner toture that she had to witness thoughout the book. however the ending to me wasn't one of sadness but an uplifting one. she defiled all odds and was able to marry Peeta. she made it thourgh the games made to kill her and survived although she was battered and burised she was alive not only that she was able to pick her life back up and didn't use a supplement to cover her pain as so many other vitorys had


Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews) I completely agree with you on the torture being worst than the deaths in some way, and about it not having a cinderella ending since it would remove from the deeper message in the book. Peeta's hijacking was absolutely horrible and tragic and disturbing, and well everything Katniss suffered through was beyond what I could have imagined. Definitely heavy on the bitter, but as you say, beautiful writing !


Mandy you're review is exactly what I wish I could feel about the book. I keep trying too, but it doesn't come to me that way. :-(


Jessica No Disney ending....and why should it be? The world in it's pain does not have that........


Ariana And it didn't nessissarily have a happy ending. I'm glad her and Peeta are together and I like how they show it's not a happily ever after. It's realistic-after all that trauma of course they're not going to be the same as they once were. They're both mentally disoriented, Peeta still has to control himself, but at least everything else is good.


back to top