Andrew Breslin's Reviews > The Amadeus Net

The Amadeus Net by Mark A. Rayner

Dec 30, 2009

I read this book because it was published by ENC press, which published my own book. It confirmed what I had already suspected: our publisher has very good taste.

It's been a few years since I read this, and some of the details have grown a bit fuzzy. But I do recall the beauty of the writing very clearly. If the comparison is not too cliched or obvious, given the protagonist--I suspect it is, but I don't care--the words flowed melodiously, like music.

It made me reflect on the position taken by one friend of mine, which is that she "doesn't like science fiction." She is, sadly, missing out on a lot. Because if you read the synopsis, you'd be hard pressed not to categorize it as science fiction, but I imagine that just about anyone who likes well-developed characters, a good story and smooth, crisp writing would enjoy it.

Such is the tragedy of the publishing world, desperately seeking to pigeon-hole everything. Is that literary or genre fiction? Is that magic realism or neo-surrealism? Modern or post-modern? Kafkaesque or Kerouacian?

As soon as you try to tell someone about it and start off with "the book opens in a post-apocalyptic world run by a sentient computer and there's a 250-year old--"

"Nah, I don't want to reads that. It's science fiction."

"But-"

"I'm just going to read John Grisham instead. There are no computers there."

Well, they are denying themselves some great art. Like Battlestar Galactica. And this, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amadeus Net.

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael I particularly like this review Andrew because you refrained from using too many words that caused me to engage my Webster's. I do appreciate your vocabulary and the boost for me to expand mine thanks to you and Webster. But, sometimes I'm just too lazy to make the effort. On your recommendation, Cathy and I watched all 125 episodes of Battlestar Galactica...mgc