Jules's Reviews > Der Besuch des Leibarztes

F_50x66
Aug 09, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, postmodernism, 2010
Read from July 21 to 24, 2010

I'd had this lying around for many a year until I finally decided to tackle it. I didn't think much of it; the description sounded only vaguely interesting, the cover and title didn't do much for me either.

Little did I know I'd find something so utterly captivating and postmodern here. I should have reviewed it earlier than two weeks after I've finished it so that I could have recounted what makes it so postmodern (aside from the disjointed narrative); alas, I think I shall have to read the book again to remedy this.

I think the only thing I found missing to give it five stars was a bigger concern with King Christian VII.'s madness later on in the book (beautiful beginning) and the continuous use of "!!!" or "???", which I HATE HATE HATE. It takes away believability for me, for some reason. If the author had chosen just single symbols, that would have done a lot to save me from narrowing my eyes again and again, heh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Der Besuch des Leibarztes.

07/22/2010 page 191