Shayla's Reviews > East

East by Edith Pattou

F_50x66
Dec 30, 09

Recommended to Shayla by: best friend
Recommended for: anyone looking for a good read!
Read in November, 2006, read count: 3

This story is amazing. "East of the sun and west of the moon" has always enchanted me, and I was so excited when I picked up this book knowing that it was a retelling of this beatiful story. I was not dissapointed. I loved the way that Edith Pattou gave each and every character a believable personality. In our world, every "villian" has a story behind it--no one is truly evil--and Pattou was able to portray that very well the way that she switched points of view between the characters, rather than through just one. This along with all of the research put into her work made the story so realistic and magical, I was sorry to have to put it down when i finnished. I thought it was brilliant, and i was so excited to find a versoin of one of my favorite fairy tales that really brought the story to life. The story was more beautifully solid than Jessica Day George's "Moon and Sun, Ice and Snow" in that the story captured me heart and soul. I'm affraid that Georges version seemed like, well, a fairy tale. It honestly didn't have the beleivability or the depth of research that East did, although it's story was enjoyable. In closing, if anyone is ever looking for a good read, then please try East. I loved it!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read East.