nancy (The Ravenous Reader)'s Reviews > Raised by Wolves

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

1402070
Aug 11, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, wish-list, 2010-release, own, to-review, signed, audiobook
Read from July 30 to August 06, 2010 — I own a copy

I got bit.

Three little words never had such a profound meaning.

As I began reading Raised By Wolves I begrudgingly uttered "not another werewolf book" but before the first chapter was completed I was held a captive audience between it's pages. I could not get enough of this story and did not stop until I reached the last page only to feel the loss of having it end.

Jennifer Lynn Barnes has crafted a story that is by far one of the most well written and engaging young adult paranormal novels around. It is full of twists and unexpected turns that are brilliantly conceived and delivered.

Bronwyn Alessia St. Vincent Clare is a teenage girl that was raised by wolves, since the tender age of four, when a rabid werewolf went rogue and killed her entire family. She was saved by Callum, the Alpha of the territory who gave her to the only other human in his wolf pack to raise as their own daughter. You would have thought that being raised by wolves would have made Bryn obedient, responsible and terrified but nothing could have been further from the truth. At a young age she closed her bond off from the members of the pack, wanting to be her own person without having to obey pack laws and as she got older she constantly pushed her limits. When Callum orders that Bryn come home before dark and has his body guards become her shadow she knows that something is wrong but no one will tell her what is going on. Bryn decides to take matters into her own hands and her actions set off a chain of events that have her finding Chase: a caged young man that changes into a Wolfe before her very eyes. A confession is made and Bryn cannot believe what she hears.

I Got Bit.

Those words connect her to Chase and she feels compelled to see him again but not until she meets Callum's demands...and the price for breaking any of them are greater than anything Bryn could have imagined. Despite that fact she cannot help the pull that she has towards Chase and that he is the only one to have the answers to her desperately needed questions. Allegiances to her pack be damned no matter the consequences.

Raised by Wolves is a story that tugged at my heart and pulled on my emotions in such a way that I was left speechless while other moments I went all primal with shouts and growls of protests. Bryn's proved to be a worthy heroine that is smart and "scrappy" as her need to remain independent from the pack is paramount and while you may not agree with her actions you can understand exactly where she is coming from. I admired how Jennifer Lynn Barnes was able to convey Bryn's emotions so clearly that there were passages that were utterly palpable. Besides enjoying Bryn's character I totally adored her best friend Devon. How original to have a werewolf (who could be an alpha someday) be totally metro sexual while constantly pulling upon beloved movie characters and dialogue to express himself. Yet, Devon is just a favorite among a cast of many characters that lend to this story's magnetism.

The only complaint that I have is the immediate connection between Bryn and Chase because it seemed a bit too fast-too soon, but as the story unfolded I was able to comprehend their kindred joining.

I highly recommend Raised by Wolves to those readers that love a great paranormal book because it is an intricate story, full of action, romance and literary magic that will leave you gripping your book as the enormous plot builds and explodes unfalteringly before your very eyes.

s for 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raised by Wolves.

07/30/2010 page 78
18.0% "This debut novel by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is off to a crackling start and filled with provocative substance"
08/03/2010 page 258
60.0% "A brilliantly conceived novel that holds you spellbound. I cannot stop reading it"