UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick's Reviews > Black Jack

Black Jack by Lora Leigh

We got a glimpse of Night Hawk and Black Jack in a short story awhile back, and we knew there was some serious something between them, and finally we find out exactly what it is! There’s a sexual chemistry that can’t be denied, or ignored, and this book sizzles with passion as our hero and heroine burn up the pages.

In my opinion, Lora Leigh writes some of the best heroes out there, hands down; Whether wholly human or part human-part animal, they are hot, demanding, and in charge, and Travis Caine, AKA Black Jack, is no different. He’s tough, sexy, honorable, and damn good at what he does and right now, he’s doing everything he can to keep Lilly Belle alive.

Lilly Belle has a problem - There have been enough attempts on her life to leave no room for doubt - someone wants the ex-EliteOps agent dead. It’s up to Travis Caine and the rest of the EliteOps team to find out who that someone is and what it is that Lilly knows to make her too dangerous to live. And it would have been really helpful if she hadn’t lost her memory in the last attempt on her life, 6 months ago. Now, in addition to keeping her alive, and finding out who wants her dead, they have to make sure that whatever memories she does have won’t compromise the team.

Now, while there were fewer editing mistakes than the last book which made the story easier to follow, there was something that really bugged me and I’d never noticed it before in any of the other books. This is going to sound nit-picky, but please understand - I’m not just picking at the author’s writing and looking for mistakes, but I found this to be very distracting: The overuse of names and the repetition of words and phrases. Here’s what I mean – the hero and heroine would be alone in a room having a discussion and they would start or end, more often than not, their sentences using each other’s names. They knew who they were talking to so it seemed very… strained somehow… it really hampered the flow of their dialog. Also, for example, when during a conversation someone said something like “Am I losing my grip?” the answer wouldn’t just be “No, you’re not, you’re fine.” The answer would be “No, you’re not losing your grip.” Or, another example, not from the book, but I’m hoping to better explain what I’m trying to convey, Travis says to Jordan, “We need to get everything packed so we’re prepared to roll.” Then he turns to Nik who was standing right there and says, “Nik, you need to get everything packed so we’re prepared to roll.” Honest – I’m not trying to nit-pick, this was truly, truly distracting!!!

So while this is a pretty good romantic suspense read, I was a tad disappointed because the story moved so, so slowly. It wasn’t until the last 70 pages or so that there was really any action other than in the bedroom. Or in the garage. Or on the bike. Or… well, you get the idea. Anyway, this is not one of my favorites of the series so far. In fact, it’s my least favorite and I actually considered not finishing it. I wish that Lora Leigh could recapture the excitement and appeal of the earlier stories. I’ll read Renegade and Live Wire and keep my fingers crossed, hoping for better things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Jack.

09/07/2010 page 15
4.0% "I'm already confused. It used to be so easy to read this series, now I have to keep going back a page, trying to figure out what it is I'm missing... **sigh** I must be getting old :(" 2 comments
09/07/2010 page 50
14.0% "Ok, come on Lora! I'm in the flow, feelin' the groove... don't let me down now!" 3 comments
09/08/2010 page 70
20.0% "Why didn't I notice this sooner? Jordan is the EliteOPs counterpart to the Breed's Jonas Wyatt."
09/08/2010 page 150
43.0% "I'm enjoying the story, but there's a lot of time spent through internal dialog first from the heroine's POV, then we're inside the heroes head as he's thinking the same things. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's like getting the same thoughts twice. But I still love this series! As I said before, it's addicting. I can't stop reading!" 6 comments
09/09/2010 page 240
68.0% "The internal dialog is taking over, the constant rethinking of the same thoughts from both the hero and heroine's POVs. For the first time ever, I'm not sure I can finish an EliteOPs book. I sure hope it picks up. I'm missing the action, the excitement from something other than sex."
09/10/2010 page 300
85.0% "NOW we're talkin'! Things are FINALLY getting exciting!" 3 comments
09/10/2010 page 352
100.0% "I really had a hard time getting through this, but I'm glad I stuck it out! Review to come..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shawna Great review, UM! And I agree completely. :)

message 2: by Nissie (new) - added it

Nissie Great review! I actually have this book, but there are a couple others in the series that I need to read first.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thanks, Shawna, glad I'm not alone.

Nissie, thank you! I loved the first books, the ones from TemptingSEALs and the first two EliteOps books, Wild Card and Maverick. I wish we could get back to that level of storytelling.

message 4: by Nissie (new) - added it

Nissie I loved Maverick! I wish everyone hadn't done so much lying. But Risa just broke my heart! Micah, too.

message 5: by UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick (last edited Sep 15, 2010 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I know, Nissie. That one got to me big time. I don't know about anyone else, but I sobbed when.........

****SPOILERS FOR MAVERICK*****
Risa walked into that hotel room and saw her friend looking at the photos in her file. I SOBBED. And when she thought she'd had an orgasm, and Micah left the bed to go into the bathroom to collect himself so he could keep going, she thought he was so disgusted he couldn't finish... OMG...
***END SPOILER*******

Just... O.M.G.

message 6: by Nissie (new) - added it

Nissie Oh, yeah. If I let myself think about it too much, I still cry!

message 7: by Buggy (new) - added it

Buggy Oh No!! Say it isn't so
I just finished Heat seeker (it took me 2 weeks)and I still have this one left on the TBR shelf (before I abandon this series forever) I was hopeful that it would be better but it doesn't sound like it.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Buggy, it was better than Heat Seeker in that there were very few editing errors and things like that, but to me, it was slow. I already own Renegade, and I've heard it's better. I want to read Live Wire because it's Jordan's story. I'm giving her 2 more chances to redeem herself and the series, and then I'm afraid I'm done. :(