Amy's Reviews > The City & the City

The City & the City by China Miéville

Dec 29, 09

bookshelves: mystery, read-in-2009, fantasy
Read in December, 2009

I enjoyed this book, although it was not as mind-bending as Perdido Street Station. It's much smaller in scope and in the complexity of the ideas explored.
I've been reading quite a few mystery novels lately (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Anne Perry's Charlotte and William Pitt novels) so this one blended in with the rest of my reading.
I liked the way the two cities were juxtaposed - it created a situation that reminded me in some ways of the North Korea/South Korea divide. It also made me think of hidden cultures within modern cities - and how much of what you see in any interactions is the facade.
The idea of unseeing and unhearing is interesting as well. I would say that in urban and suburban areas that happens in our culture, without the formal divide between the cities in the novel.
Overall, I enjoyed this book. It was relatively short and quick to read. I was not challenged by the vocabulary as I was in Perdido Street Station. I was a bit disappointed in the ending. Without going into details, I felt like there was a bit of bait and switch going on...I was expecting more complexity in the resolution. To me, it felt somewhat mundane.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City & the City.