Nicole's Reviews > Hate That Cat

Hate That Cat by Sharon Creech

Dec 29, 09

bookshelves: reading-with-the-spawn
Read in December, 2009

I highly recommend having this book read aloud to you by a twelve-year-old. If you don't have a kid handy, read it aloud anyway, because with this particular book that's half the fun.
Hate That Cat is awesome in many of the same ways that Love That Dog is awesome. I love that it gets kids thinking about poetry (and, by extension, maybe literature in general) as something they can have fun with, while still incorporating some of the technical terms/elements.
The only thing that didn't really work for me here (and Spawn seconds the motion) is that there's not a real cohesive story arc/ending. Yes, he hates the fat neighborhood cat so thinks he hates all cats until he gets the kitten. Sure. Okay. It's just not quite enough to hold it together as a story. Overall, though, this novel in poems is charming and fun. Plus it requires a very small time investment (less than an hour). Read it, you have nothing to lose. Just don't forget to grab a kid and have them read it out loud. Guaranteed to double the fun.

Spawn's rating: also four stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hate That Cat.