Jon's Reviews > The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath

The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan

Sep 22, 2011

Read in January, 2010

A fantastic book, on many levels. Buchanan is a writer who's easy to read. His ideas are somewhat provocative, while still being accessible and digestible. I have to say, my thoughts on Sabbath were antiquated and warped. Once I read this, it just plain makes sense. Perhaps my biggest takeaway though is that the Sabbath, while in many ways a test-run of the hereafter, is very much here and now a time to embrace that which is most life-giving. Rather than seeing the Sabbath as an obligatory "holy day" spent in silent reverence, Buchanan paints a very different picture. Sabbath can (and should) be a day spent embracing that which is most life-giving, what connects us most to who and what we were created to be, whatever that may be (as long as it's not work). Far from legalistic, Buchanan paints a picture of the Sabbath that is more than inviting.

In my family, we've since embraced the Sabbath, and are learning what it looks like to begin and end our Sabbath day well, to do that which most gives us life, and to look for God in that. It's been nothing short of fantastic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rest of God.