Rossrn Nunamaker's Reviews > Napoleon's Pyramids

Napoleon's Pyramids by William Dietrich

Dec 30, 09

bookshelves: fiction, suspense
Read in December, 2009

William Dietrich's Napoleon's Pyramids was alright, but had great potential and was therefore a bit disappointing. I couldn't give it a two, but two and a half is probably more accurate.

Ethan Gage is an American, who's fame is based on his association with Ben Franklin and possession of a long rifle. The story is set in France and Egypt. Gage wins a medallion while gambling and immediately finds himself in trouble for having acquired it. He is set up for murder and flees, eventually becoming a part of Napoleon's academics who are brought to Egypt to unlock mysteries and 'free' the people from Mameluk rule.

Gage befriends a mystic woman and Mameluk soldier, whose brother is Enoch. Together this odd band attempt to solve the mystery of the medallion.

The lack of depth of any of the characters leads to the relationships only ever becoming superficial. I wanted this book to be better than it was, and it could have been, but came up short.

I won't spoil the end, but the end could have been stronger as well. All in all, this is not a don't read, but it could have been so much better than it was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Napoleon's Pyramids.