Michael's Reviews > No One Belongs Here More Than You

No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July

Jan 09, 2010

liked it
Read in January, 2010

Short and new enough to make you interested in reading some "new" fiction, but tedious like a low-budget indie film.

This collection of short stories has its ups and downs, and to read all the blurbs on it, many professionals liked it. Most of the characters are socially inept and haven't seemed to discover happiness or how to perpetuate it in their short lives. They're the kind of characters whose last words in a dialog are always "Oh." And, of course, there's no quotes around any dialog which gives it that extra bleakness.

Here's a good example:

By the time I ran into Ed Borger at Trader Joe's, Lyon was living at my house only half the week. Which is something Ed and I talked about with loaves of bread in our hands. He thouht this was great progress. I said we owed it all to him. He said his bread always got moldy before he could finish the loaf. I said he should freeze the bread to prevent this problem. He said, Won't that ruin the bread? I said, No if you're making toast with it. He said, You can toast it frozen? And I said, Yep.

Still, it's kind of fun and calming to read, if only to see what kind of whacky thing happens next: mostly normal people doing non-mainstream (what's the PC word for "perverted" or "abnormal"?) sex here and there. Sort of like a muted, calm Maury Povich show but all the guests were over-reflective, under-employed liberal arts types from boring 80's childhoods who aren't even funny enough to be like the 40 year old virgin.

"Yep" indeed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No One Belongs Here More Than You.

12/29/2009 page 14
01/05/2010 page 56
27.86% "I'm still trying to figure this one out. Honestly, it seems like every character has been mentally damaged so far. Yay...?"
show 2 hidden updates…