C's Reviews > Lady Chatterley's Lover

Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence

Jan 10, 2010

bookshelves: buy-this, sexology, girl-power
Read in January, 2010

I got really excited, academically, about this book. I haven't been exposed much to the history of sexuality in literature, and now I really, really want to hunker down with some periodicals and biographies and make friends with Lawrence and his contemporaries and get a better handle on exactly what about this book was new and what was riding on the shoulders of other writers.

Gender, though, was at times problematic. Lawrence's notions of what makes a man, and how women should go about as sexual beings, at least as they're voiced by the sympathetic male character, don't mesh with my take on gender identity, though he may have been quite progressive "for his time." And using physical disability to symbolize impotence and helplessness and the crumbling of the human spirit by industrialization? YAWN.

So the book was terribly wonderfully interesting to read, but something I argued with a lot in my head.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Chatterley's Lover.

01/01/2010 page 32
8.79% ""It was an almost mechanical confidence in her own powers, and went with a great cheerfulness.""
01/08/2010 page 171
46.98% ""Accept your own aloneness and stick to it all your life. And then accept the times when the gap is filled in, when they come.""
01/09/2010 page 212
58.24% "Need to buy this book so I can write all over it."
01/09/2010 page 235
64.56% "E.g. Clifford & his useless motor chair such brazen symbols of Progress. The scene on the hill, human effort triumphing. Bejeezus."
show 2 hidden updates…