Celeste Miller's Reviews > House Of Sand And Fog

House Of Sand And Fog by Andre Dubus III

Nov 09, 07

Read in November, 2007

This is definitely a page turner or, as one of the reviews said, "unputdownable." What makes the conflict between the Kathy, a down-on-her-luck former coke addict scraping by as a house cleaner and Colonel Behrani, a formerly wealthy official in the Shah of Iran's administration is that, bigoted as both may be, they are also both sympathetic characters. Both have formerly been many things and are still reeling from their pasts while trying to carve out a future.

As I began part two, I felt the wind go out of the sails of the narrative, as the viewpoint of Lester, the married cop with whom Kathy has begun an affair, becomes a focus. Simply put, his story is nowhere near as compelling as the conflict between Kathy and Behrani. He does provide a third perspective that moves the narrative along somewhat more objectively, but his introduction is awkward and a bit forced and never really gains much steam, since so many plot elements are already in motion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House Of Sand And Fog.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nikki Gourneau I like your review of this book. I'll ave to add it to my to-read list.