J.G. Keely's Reviews > The Canterbury Tales

Oct 25, 2007

bookshelves: poetry, uk-and-ireland, humor
Read in March, 2005

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Canterbury Tales.

06/25/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Dave (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Dave I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Canterbury Tales man. I know, it must be tough to back anything that goes against such a classic.

message 2: by J.G. Keely (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.G. Keely Well, knocking down classics can be a very good way to make yourself seem more important and clever (if you dislike what everyone else loves, you must see something they don't); but, of course, going contrary just to do it is no better than going along with the canon-worshippers just for the sake of it. That is what most dadaists failed to consider, and hence, why their act becomes too strictly tied to what they mean to differ from.

I do enjoy the Canterbury Tales, but I do not think they bear the strength of wit of some of Chaucer's other works. Like Shakespeare, there is much cleverness, but often falling to more simple humor (in this particular case). I suppose I should sit down and make a real review before long.

message 3: by Dave (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Dave Awesome. I'd like to see it.

J.G. Keely I agree that popularity is often related to lack of depth, but as you say, it needn't always be so--history has many examples of works that were both popular and of quality, after all.