Keely's Reviews > The Canterbury Tales

The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

Oct 25, 07

bookshelves: poetry, uk-and-ireland, humor
Read in March, 2005

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Canterbury Tales.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Canterbury Tales man. I know, it must be tough to back anything that goes against such a classic.

Keely Well, knocking down classics can be a very good way to make yourself seem more important and clever (if you dislike what everyone else loves, you must see something they don't); but, of course, going contrary just to do it is no better than going along with the canon-worshippers just for the sake of it. That is what most dadaists failed to consider, and hence, why their act becomes too strictly tied to what they mean to differ from.

I do enjoy the Canterbury Tales, but I do not think they bear the strength of wit of some of Chaucer's other works. Like Shakespeare, there is much cleverness, but often falling to more simple humor (in this particular case). I suppose I should sit down and make a real review before long.

message 3: by Dave (new)

Dave Awesome. I'd like to see it.

message 4: by Kristchin (new) - added it

Kristchin In reply to Keely: Couldn't you also argue the fact that disliking something that has a large fan-base means you don't see something in the story? Of course, popularity has absolutely no barring on whether or not a story is quality. Actually, in most cases, popularity equates to shallowness. However, it is possible for a story to have a rather large fan-base and still maintain a sense of quality.

This has absolutely nothing to do with this title, or anything else really. I just find it to be an interesting topic for discussion.

Keely I agree that popularity is often related to lack of depth, but as you say, it needn't always be so--history has many examples of works that were both popular and of quality, after all.