Suze's Reviews > Born Under a Million Shadows

Born Under a Million Shadows by Andrea Busfield

Dec 28, 2009

bookshelves: books-to-read-again
Read from January 16 to 22, 2010

This book truly capivated me! It's charming, funny, informative, heart-warming and at times a little sad.

Amazon describes it like this:
"A moving tale of the triumph of the human spirit amidst heartbreaking tragedy, told through the eyes of a charming, impish, and wickedly observant Afghan boy."

It's all true. I love the way the author looked at everything through the eyes of an intelligent, observant, caring 11 year old boy. I smiled, I laughed out loud and I cried while reading this book. Afghanistan, instead of simply being a country with major problems far, far away, becomes a place where people are indefatigable in the face of daily tragedy and poverty. I admire their tenaciousness and courage a great deal.

I also learned a bit more about the Muslim religion, and the effect it has on women. Having been raised in an open society, I know I couldn't tolerate the 'rules' that women must follow. However, it was interesting.

This is a book I will keep and read again, as well as recommending it to my Book Club! Loved it!

I look forward to this first-time novelists next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born Under a Million Shadows.

01/16/2010 page 14
01/18/2010 page 201
62.81% "was up half the night reading this!"
01/20/2010 page 294
91.88% "loving this book!"
11/08/2016 marked as: read