Aimee's Reviews > Afraid

Afraid by Jack Kilborn

Jan 18, 10

bookshelves: violence-is-golden, not-for-the-squeamish, literary-mind-screw
Read in January, 2010

Whoa, Nellie! That was one disturbingly addictive read! I'm not usually very squeamish, but this one made me sqirm....a lot. I thnk the most horrifying part of it is that fact that most of what happens in this book is very possible,given the right conditions.

This story takes place in the small town of Safe Haven, where residents don't bother to even lock their doors. A helicopter crashes over Big Lake McDonald one night and brings with it a deadly force of medically altered phychos. They have one objective and it includes some of the most gruesome acts I think I've ever read. I can't go into much detail without spoilers, so I'll leave it at this....

Lock your doors, keep a flashlight handy, and don't read it before you go to sleep.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Afraid.

01/11/2010 page 25
6.72% "Wow...already very unsettling. YIKES!"
01/13/2010 page 101
27.15% "He doesn't let up on the action, does he?" 2 comments
01/17/2010 page 218
58.6% "My main compaint thus far is that this one changes POV too much. I can't stand when a book jumps around too much."

Darcy This one is super good and will suck you in. I read it in one night before bed and was worried I would have bad dreams.

Aimee can't wait! It's been a long time since I've read something that could scare the beegeezus out of me!

Darcy I think what is so scary about this is how real this could be. I am from a small town and I could totally see something like this happening.

Aimee I added it to my library list, but there's a long wait. I may actually buy this one so I don't have to wait for it.

Darcy Depending on your wait it wouldn't be a bad idea. This is one where I wouldn't mind reading it again. It should have been out long enough to have landed at a used book store too.

I am reading another thriller right now that you may want to check out, Abandon, by Blake Crouch. It was a little slow, but all of a sudden the shit hit the fan and now I am having a hard time putting it down.