Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Rechenka's Eggs

Rechenka's Eggs by Patricia Polacco

Dec 30, 09

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended for: 3-8 year olds; for Easter reading; for those who appreciate nature
Read in December, 2009

Oh, so cute. This is a lovely fantasy story. It’s about a woman who paints award winning Ukrainian painted eggs. She saves a goose wounded by a hunter, and this delightful story goes from there. In order to avoid spoilers, I can’t really say much about what happens, but it’s a sweet story with a sweet ending. The illustrations of the painted eggs are wondrous, as are the illustrations of the caribou, geese, woman, the woman’s dwelling, and the festival. There’s a lovely, not too heavy handed, moral about showing kindness and about reciprocity. A special cross species friendship is shown.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rechenka's Eggs.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Vegan Chandra, Many of her books I'd say are for 8-11, 9-12, 7-10 year olds but there have been several that would be terrific for 5-6 year olds and a few even for 3-4 year olds. This one would work great for Izzy this coming Easter!

Lisa Vegan Abigail, You're right. It is Ukrainian! Her grandmother was Ukrainian. What with the porous borders and changes in borders/governments, they're often called Russian/the Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union, but often the Soviet Union was incorrectly referred to as Russia.

However, I probably should be more accurate and change the name of the are in my review!!! Thanks for pointing out my error.

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Dec 30, 2009 06:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Done! ETA: Thanks!!

Lisa Vegan Thanks, Abigail.

Ronyell Great review Lisa!! I loved this story also!

Lisa Vegan Ronyell wrote: "Great review Lisa!! I loved this story also!"

Thanks, Ronyell. I'm so happy that you're another fan of Patricia Polacco. Do you have any idea about how many of her books you've read/still have left to read?

Ronyell Hmmm...I'll have to go to my bookshelf to find out! But I know that I got a lot more to go!

Lisa Vegan Well, a lot to look forward to then. It's hard to be caught up
And always having to wait until her next book is published.

Ronyell Oh yeah!! I always have a hard time trying to wait patiently for the next book in the series to come out!