Mia's Reviews > The Birth Partner

The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin

Oct 31, 07

Recommended for: Parents to be, Birthing partners

I read this book as a part of my doula training, and have given a copy to every pregnant woman I have known since.

This book was invaluable to me in understanding the actual process of giving birth. So many pregnancy books concentrate on what not to do or lift or eat, what to ask at doctor appointments, what to eat, drink, think, how to sleep, etc. and never actually tell you what the end of the road will be like. This book breaks down the phases of labor - what will happen, how mom may feel, how the partner might react, what is happening physically, and what can be done to help mom through the process.

This book should be a must-read for anyone planning on helping a woman through labor. I also found it to be very educational as I prepared to have my baby - I found a lot of comfort during delivery knowing that how I felt was completely normal.

On a side note, I had the distinct pleasure of doing some training with Penny, who wrote this book, and she is positively incredible. All of her books are fantastic resources.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Birth Partner.